In a bid to distract myself from a wonderful bank holiday drawing to a close, I decided to create a little weekly round-up.
I’d love to write a short post every weekend, sharing a few of my favourite things with you. It’s nice to start a new week with a fresh dash of inspiration, right?
WHAT I’M LISTENING TO:
- George Ezra’s latest album, Staying at Tamara’s. It’s bursting at the seams with deliciously upbeat summery tracks. Normally the phrase ‘summer anthem’ makes me feel queasy, but I genuinely can’t think of a better phrase to describe these gorgeous tunes. I love the storytelling of his album too, as it starts off with songs about his feelings of anxiety and needing to get away, before moving swiftly onto numbers about hot climates, paradise, happiness and love.
It’s one of those albums that makes you feel like it’s going to be OK. And I think we all need a dose of that in our lives. Listen to Shotgun for the ultimate summer song.
- The Fringe of It. I love listening to Liv and Charlotte’s podcast, because it feels like I’m sitting with two of my favourite friends, just talking about whatever takes our fancy.
- Fearne Cotton’s podcast: Happy Place. She talks to celebrities about their lives, focusing on what makes them happy and how they’ve achieved their success. It’s such a lovely thing to listen to, and I always leave with a few tips on making my life a happier place too. I particularly adored the Dawn French episode.
- Primal Heart by Kimbra. Such a beautifully crafted album. If your main point of reference for Kimbra is ‘the girl on that Gotye song who looks a bit like Katy Perry’, you owe it to yourself to check out her latest musical offerings. She’s a talented lady, that Kimbra, layering rich, swirling musical landscapes with abstract, poetic lyrics. Her repertoire in this album stretches from heavy R’n’B beats to twinkling electronica to upbeat pop. It’s quite something.
The catchy, off-beat songs will leave you feeling strong and empowered. One of her weirdest songs, Top of the World, is my favourite.
WHAT I’M READING:
- Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie. I’ve been reading this book all weekend, I’m absolutely hooked. (FYI, I still can’t work out who dunnit.)
- Blog: New Darlings. Since discovering Christina and Robert on Instagram, I’ve been an avid reader of their blog. Everything is so beautiful and aesthetically pleasing.
WHAT I’M WEARING:
- A checked blazer from H&M. It smartens up any outfit, even your old jeans. I can’t wear it to the office without someone asking if I have a job interview or a hot date. I’ve linked a similar one below.
- A yellow dress from ASOS. I’m suddenly very into wrap dresses and I love this bright, summery floral number. Actual dress linked below!
- A bardot neckline and checked shorts. You can’t go wrong with a bardot top, especially when it’s this sunny! Teamed with Topshop Mom shorts. Similar below.
WHAT I’M CELEBRATING:
- The launch of a campaign I’ve been working on. When I saw I’d be writing the content for this campaign, from beginning to end, I was a little daunted but incredibly excited. It meant getting to craft copy for all sorts of mediums: packs, posters, web pages, films, social media – all sorts! It’s been a fantastic learning opportunity (without sounding too uncool), and I’ll be following the campaign’s progress on Twitter. Fingers crossed it does well!
- Going completely cruelty-free with my make-up. Can you believe so many big brands still test on animals? I’ve been slowly phasing them out of my life (talking to you, Revlon, Maybelline, MAC and L’Oreal) and switching them for good, ethical brands. I think this deserves its own post, but for now I’ll leave you this PETA brand checker so you can see if your favourite brands are nice or naughty.
Are you back to work tomorrow? If so, enjoy your 4-day week! And I’ll catch you next weekend for more favourite things x