I’m back for another round!
So, what’s new? Well, my thoughts for the week can basically be summed up with this tweet:
Things I need to believe to get myself through today:
1. Jughead is fine
2. I love the new Arctic Monkey’s album
3. Someone will pick up Brooklyn Nine Nine
— Nikki McMullen (@nikki_mcmullen) May 11, 2018
It was a stressful time for me.
What I’ve been listening to:
I don’t even remember the first half of the week, all my Spotify cares about is the new Arctic Monkeys album that dropped on Friday (but arrived on my doorstep on Thursday, yay for pre-orders!)
Search ‘Arctic Monkeys’ on Twitter and you’ll see it’s a divisive album. I must admit, I didn’t love it immediately. But then again, it’s fairly rare for me to fall in love with music on a first listen.
Thankfully TBH+C has grown on me. I’d even go so far as to say I’m a bit obsessed with Four Out Of Five (and The Ultracheese). I’ve had the opening refrain stuck in my head all weekend.
Oh, oh, and of course the other thing I’ve had on repeat is Childish Gambino’s This Is America. That video? I suspect kids’ll be studying it in Media Studies in a couple of years. There’s nothing I can say here that hasn’t already been dissected on Twitter, so I’ll simmer down.
By the way, who else is super excited to hear CG as Simba in the Lion King? Bring on 2019.
What I’ve been watching:
I’ve been on a Brooklyn Nine-Nine binge recently, so I’m sure you’ll all understand how devastated I was to learn it was being cancelled. Until yesterday, when I heard the beautiful news it had been picked up by NBC. THANK YOU, NBC. I LOVE YOU.
I wish I could bingewatch Riverdale too instead of having to wait a week (or several weeks, ugh) between episodes. My nerves can’t cope, last Thursday I actually shouted at the TV during the cliffhanger ending.
— Riverdale (@CW_Riverdale) May 13, 2018
I’m fully aware Riverdale is kind of trashy/terrible. On the surface, it’s like a dark, sexy, cringy version of Scooby Doo. But I get so suckered in. I need to know who the Black Hood murderer is. I must find out what happens to the characters. I’m totally emotionally invested now. Besides, I’ve never watched an episode of Love Island, so I’m allowed this as my trashy TV quota, right?
This Thursday is the finale, so I’m preparing to be on the edge of my seat – especially if anything has happened to my favourite guy, Jughead Jones.
What I’ve been cooking:
I live with my younger sister and we decided to make a big ole effort with our cooking last week. Our favourite dishes? The chicken and chorizo jambalaya, the honey and mustard chicken dish, and our antipasti banquet (see below)
— Nikki McMullen (@nikki_mcmullen) May 13, 2018
They’ve left me feeing really inspired to keep trying out new dishes and expand my cooking repertoire. Do you have any suggestions on what to try next? They’d be greatly appreciated!
Worth a quick read:
- Have you followed Jameela Jamil’s I Weigh account yet? It encourages woman to see themselves as their achievements in life: their friendships and families, their scholastic successes or career highlights, the battles they’ve fought and the scars they’ve accepted. Not their weight or body size. The Financial Times did a lovely piece on Jameela and I Weigh. Take a look.
- Did you guys watch Queer Eye? Its like chicken soup for the soul! My heart was warmed by the news that Tom and Abby are now remarried! His episode was my favourite of all the Queer Eye makeovers. Celebratory redneck margaritas for everyone!
- Poppy Jamie has created a new app called Happy Not Perfect, to show technology can be used to improve our mental health and wellbeing. Sign. Me. Up. (I’ve pre-ordered it).
- The news that the Marvel universe is becoming more diverse with Ms Marvel, a Pakistani-American teenage girl, is rather a cheery beacon in a world that increasingly makes me want to face plant my own desk.
That’s all for this week! I’ll be back soon with inspiring women, DNA tests, and bullet journaling.